Thursday, November 1, 2012

that open day in the meal plan

We are still on our not eating out kick. And it's working. Sometimes we're weak and end up eating out, or not planning well so we have to for sake of time. But we have been really good about making dinner special enough so we don't feel like we need to.

I meal plan on Thursday night, most weeks. Unfortunately, that means that pesky gaps appear in my meal plan...since it's week's end and I am spent! Originally, I thought the gaps meant leftovers. For example, I'll leave Sunday lunch wide open so we can eat them all up. But this week we ended up with an "unknown" gap. What in the world was I going to cook up tonight?

...dun dun dun...

(In the fridge we had leftover mashed potatoes, four slices of turkey bacon, some eggs, and two-day old bread,  bowl of pumpkin soup, some salad fixins, and pizza.)

I made potatoe pancakes, turkey bacon, fried eggs, and fried toast. It wasn't fancy, but it was homey and yummy, and it hit the spot!

In case you don't know how to make potatoe pancakes, and need to use up those few extra taters:

Mix thoroughly:
8 ounces of mashed taters
1 egg
1/4 of a medium onion & 1 clove of garlic minced sauteed in olive oil until tender (3 or 4 minutes on medium)
1/4 cup of breadcrumbs

Leave the heat on the onion & garlic sautee pan, add a little more olive oil. Drop 4 ounce balls into the pan, flip them when you see the bottoms crisping up; they shouldn't fall apart when you try to flip them (let them sautee a bit longer if they do...), and let them cook until both sides are golden.

No comments:

Post a Comment