Thursday, December 1, 2011

take that, tom turkey!

There are a few things that make me feel like I am ruler of the universe: getting my boys to nap at the same time, defeating a difficult new thing involving food or a project, and getting a flattering compliment from my hubby. Today's success: deboning a 20 pound turkey!

I've done it probably a hundred times with chicken. If you have ever done the math, it's SO much cheaper to buy whole chicken than it is to buy individual breasts or thighs or what have you. We're talking like $.98/pound versus $1.99/pound. The same principal rings true for turkey, especially now after Thanksgiving. I picked up a tom turkey (male), for $.74/pound. Ground turkey breast is $2.50ish/pound. Turkey loin, marinated is $6ish/pound.

I'll spend $7 on 2.5 pounds of ground turkey and get about two meals out of it. I spent $16 on this entire turkey and here is what I got out of it:


the wing portions: 2 drumsticks, wings; one meal. I will likely
fry these guys, like I would the dark thighs and drumsticks
of a chicken.

the leg portions: 2 drumsticks, 2 thighs; two meals; about 4 pounds.
I am hoping to roast these portions, and use them in soups & quiches.

the breast meat: up to 4 meals; 32 ounces/2 pounds each.
I have one roasting in the crock pot right now, and it
will be sandwich meat. The other I will roast and use as
as the protein for two dinners.
the breast tenderloins: one meal; 6-8 ounces each.
We are going to have these tonight, likely grilled,
with a sweet potatoe and winter squash risotto.
So for the four meals I'd get out of two packages of ground turkey, I could buy an entire turkey and get twice as many meals out of it.

It's more wholesome, cheaper, and wayyy more rewarding to do turkey this way. Now the only question is if I will be able to get turkey for $.74/pound any other time of year!

No comments:

Post a Comment