Friday, December 2, 2011

becoming more like that guy.

I am about halfway through my study of the Gospels. I started with Matthew about a year ago, maybe longer. But I didn't want to just read through them this time. I wanted to really understand what it was Christ was trying to teach, paying very close attention to transitions, context, and audience. It's so easy to skim when I am reading/studying.

I find myself reading through Luke really fast; it's such a smoother read than Matthew or Mark. But I finally had to slow down come chapter 6. Verse 27 starts in on how we are supposed to love our enemies. I get the principle, I really do. I understand it...in essence. But there is no way I love murderers or thieves or men who cheat on their wives or any number of other people who do dispicable things...especially those who do them to other people. How did Christ do it? Because, if any one talked the talk AND walked the walk, it was Jesus.

There is a lot of goodness in the verse, so I will just type it out (Bold and italics are my emphasis, things in parentheses are my inner dialogue):

<<But I say to you who hear: Love your enemies, do good to those who hate you, bless those who curse you, and pray for those who spitefully use you.

To him who strikes you on the one cheek, offer the other also. (This sounds foolish to me.)

And from him who takes away your cloak, do not withhold your tunic either. (Um, what if I am cold?)

Give to everyone who asks of you. (How is that humanly possible?)

And to him who takes away your goods, do not ask for them back. (I should not prosecute someone who steals from me? That seems uncanny.)

And just as you want men to do to you, you also do to them likewise. (But I wouldn't steal. Remember: I have better character than liars.)

But if you love those who love you, what credit is that to you? For even sinners love those who love them. (Oh.)

And if you do good to those who do good to you, what credit is that to you? For even sinners do the same. (Alright. Clearly, it should be my goal to rise above.)

And if you lend to those from whom you hope to receive back, what credit is that to you? For even sinners lend to sinners to receive as much back. (I am getting it, I promise. Sorry.)

But love your enemies, do good, and lend, hoping for nothing in return; and your reward will be great, and you will be sons of the Most High. (Score!)

For He is kind to the unthankful and evil. (That God, how is He is so awesome?)

Therefore be merciful, just as your Father also is merciful. (Okay.)

Judge not , and you shall not be judged. Condemn not, and you shall not be condemned. Forgive, and you will be forgiven. (This is tough stuff, You do understand...)

Give and it will be given to you: good measure, pressed down, shaken together, and running over will be put into your bosom. For with the same measure that you use, it will be measured back to you. (Oh, so really You're doing the hard stuff, I just have to do as You say; note to self.)>>

Then I read this article on NPR that has been circulating for three years. He is living it. Can I please be more like that guy?

No comments:

Post a Comment