Thursday, October 27, 2011

feelin' the love

I had started working part time for a few months. We're talking 10 hours a week. It was more like work study in undergrad, not really work at all. During that spat, I got the boys boxed pizzas. Mark likes to KISS -- Keep It Simple, Sweetheart! Boxed pizza is about as simple as it can possibly get. And as terrible for you.

We decided after a few months that it was best for me not to work. We found that the extra money I would make we then spent getting me to work and eating out to compensate for lost meal prep time. Between the money (or lack thereof) and the time away from family, it just wasn't worth it. (Duh, but whatever. Live and learn.)

Pizza night has become a habit. But I don't love boxed pizza. I do, however, love Papa John's. More because it's lazy comfort food, and less because it's really worth the $25. Hence, I revisited the idea of making homemade crust and doing the toppings myself. Mark really loves Buffalo chicken pizza (BCP) by Red Baron. Gag me. I asked him if he doubted I could match Red Baron. He said he'd like to find out.

I have been trying to drag out of him since whether or not my BCP was better than stupid Red Baron. He said mine is more wholesome, that you can feel the love I put into it. The addendum (and, yes, there was an addendum) is that sometimes you don't want wholesome, you just want junk. Alright, if you say so, darling husband. I say I win. Red Baron, pfft.

Tonight is PIZZA THURSDAY! We are having ground beef (Mark's 2nd favorite) with mushroom & veggie. I had a chance to make the veggie for some friends and it was the fave. It features spinach, mushroom, red onion, fresh tomato & parm, along with the red sauce and mozzerella. 

To make the crust (dude, it takes as long to find refrigerated pizza dough in the store as it does to make it from scratch!):
Preheat oven at 425

1 envelope (or 2 1/4 teaspoons) yeast
3/4 cup very warm water

Dissolve the yeast in the water

2 cups flour
1/2 teaspoon salt

Mix water and yeast with the flour and salt. Let it rest for 5 minutes. (I get all my toppings cut up and set aside during this time.) Split the dough into two parts for thin crust. (The whole batch does make a thicker crust, but it's almost too dense.) [The recipe I use says to grease and sprinkle the pan with cornmeal.] Lay the rolled-out dough onto a pizza cooking sheet, cookie sheet or baking stone. Top with your preferred sauce(s) and topping(s). Bake for 15-20 minutes, or until cheese on top is golden.

My friend Danna has a recipe for BBQed homemade pizza. I hope she comments ;) because for summertime, that is just perfect. And I don't know what dough or dough recipe she uses. [Dear Danna, Please share your BBQed pizza know how!]

1 comment:

  1. We also turn to pizza for quick meals, and I also am grossed out by boxed pizza. Homemade is so much better! (And better for you.)

    If you go the Healthy Bread in 5 Minutes a Day route for making bread, you can use the same dough for pizza crust. Or you can make the dough, roll it out into a crust and freeze it. That way it's super simple to pull a crust out, throw some toppings on it and you're good to go.

    ReplyDelete