It's an Evans tradition turned Sandor favorite: stovetop popcorn. Growing up, my dad always made us popcorn. He was the master. He melted the butter perfectly, tossed it evenly, salted it just right. It is just one of the hundreds of reasons we called him Super Dad.
When Ike was born, he stored some kernels in my cabinet. Last week, I decided to give it a try. Afterall, it is cheap, it's low-calorie, and it makes me think of my daddy. What more could I ask for in an afternoon snack?
Here's how you do it:
Start a flame on your stovetop, medium should do you good.
Drizzle about 2-3 tablespoons of vegetable oil in the bottom of a four-quart pan.
Pour in the kernels -- 1/2 cup.
"Toss" them, more like wiggle them around.
Cover them, but tilt the lid, so steam can escape.
Wait for the popping. You should hear the kernels sizzle a bit before they start to pop.
Melt your butter in a small sautee pan. (I do about 1/3 of a stick. You don't really even need butter. Honestly, I do it because it makes me think of my dad. One day I'll be as cool as him.) I also add some garlic salt, because it's fabulous.
When the popping stops (or starts to stop), they're about ready!
Pour on the butter/salt, toss & serve.
We've been doing this for about a week. Abe asked me today when I came in (after his nap and after I had run some errands), "Okay, Mommy. Popcorn?"
So you don't have to constantly stir the kernels so they don't burn? I've wanted to do this (and have kernels in storage), but wasn't sure how to handle that part.
ReplyDeleteI haven't had to constantly stir, and I think I've done it about 10 times now. That being said, I have a gas stove. My dad used to shake the pan, and we used to have electric, if I recall correctly. He definitely burned some batches. If the oil doesn't heat properly, I could see the kernels scalding. I think getting the proper convection is kind of key. I am not sure what your "medium" is. I bet the stand alone popcorn appliances do the air movement and oil heating and temp perfectly. Also, getting them off the stovetop at the right time is also key. ...same concept as not leaving microwave popcorn popping for too long.
ReplyDeleteAre you feeling more confident? Ha.
It's funny, I read this and initially wondered "How else can you make popcorn?", not thinking of in the microwave! We've always made it in a saucepan and as long as you don't have the temperature too super hot and do jiggle the pot a few times, it shouldn't burn (too much!). And yep, don't leave it on the stove for long after the popping stops :)
ReplyDelete