Saturday, July 16, 2011

fabric gallery

[Jules, disregard this post...because you've already heard this story! :)]

We deconstructed Ike's crib. He did so well in the Pac-n-Play during our trip that we decided it was time to move him into Abe's room. Was the fact that I wanted to make a headboard for us the motivation in moving the boys into the same room? Haha...yes. In part. :) The trip proved to me that as long as we were out of sight, kid would sleep ANYWHERE.

I decided to use the ends of Ike's bed to make Mark and I a headboard. Did you know that the ends of a crib are slightly smaller than the width of a single bed? Together they are the exact width of a queen sized bed. And the front and back are the width of a twin bed. I plan on using the ends of Abe's crib for the boys' single bed that they will have until they are too long for them (7th/8th grade?). My hope is that I'll be able to keep a piece of their babyhood in using the ends as their headboards.

Anyway, the "headboard" is lookin' good, but I'd really like to slip cover it. Finding a neutral fabric that is very Amanda, though not too girly is TRICKY. There is this place called Fabric Gallery in south Springdale that I have never checked out. Um. Jewel. Gemstone. Hidden treasure. Amazing. Yes. My jaw hit the floor when I walked in that store. Why have I not checked this place out before now? Every fabric I have ever ooo-ed or ah-ed at on HGTV was in this store. You name it: minky, silks, heavy linens, bold prints, neutral prints, metallic prints. I browsed through one half of the store drooling. As I passed by the middle of the store and the cash register, I said to the clerk/owner?, "How could I have never come in here? My brain is on overload right now, so many projects are flooding in right now." In your best Roz (from Monster's, Inc. voice), imitate him with me: "Let me know if you need a swatch." Emily Henderson is the only one who actually gets swatches. Ear to ear I grin. Ear to ear.

Mind you, this awesome store comes with a price tag. Not completely unreasonable, but definitely pricey. I may save up a couple hundred and do a fun slip cover and drapes. I am really looking forward to revisiting this place soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment