Friday, April 15, 2011

unleavened breads of choice

Planning what unleavened bread recipes to make each spring is much like meal planning for me. I love to bake UB, but the ingredients are always more than I keep in the house. For example, I am going to pick up 3 blocks of cream cheese. I know, fattening. But HEY! it's in honor of a special time of year. I am still trying to convince my waistline, haha.

It can be easy to go overboard and get overwhelmed. I have found it much easier to make short term goals and stick to my plan. Since we are supposed to eat unleavened bread everyday (Leviticus 23:6), I think it's important to plan so you can do so. Obviously, you can buy matzo or fat-free wheat thins, but there is something more meaningful for me if it's homemade.

Here's my plan:
Between today and Monday evening (which is the Night to be Much Remembered) -- Swiss Butterhorns, Ashleigh's UB, Rice Crispies Bars with almond butter, and Cream Cheese Cake.
Tuesday: "My Favorite UB" (from the Jopin congregation's cookbook)
Wednesday: Jewish Almond Bread
Thursday: Rum Pound Cake (maybe we'll get a yummy ice cream and some port wine to enjoy with this?!)
Friday: Ashleigh's UB again

We can share the leftovers at church on Sabbath and then again on the Last Day of UB, where we'll have combined services.

Clearly, I will be doing some baking this afternoon, Sunday & Monday. But then one recipe per day that is not a Sabbath. I can handle that!

No comments:

Post a Comment