Monday, March 7, 2011

the calendar

This past MOPS meeting was about organizing our lives. All too often, as stay-at-home moms, the precious minutes of life pass through our grasp and are lost in the abyss of time gone by. I consider it my responsibility as a steward of the time given me to figure out when those precious, easily-lost moments are and how I can best use them. Until this MOPS meeting, I was losing possibly hours a day. Not all in one foul swoop, mind you, but spattered throughout the day. My "job" is one of constant distraction by one or both of my boys. They are always at forefront on my attention and/or my mind. I have to organize my day around their needs and desires. (This is largely why it's been so long since my last blog entry!)

It took me about two weeks, but I think I finally got a pretty good idea of how my days fall.


Two more weeks later and I have a few kinks I have to work out (i.e. sticking to my chores, haha!). Once I got my mind wrapped around the hours in the days and when I would most likely be able to organize the things that happen expectedly, I purchased a 2'/4' corkboard, divided it up with ribbon, then labelled those timeframes with cut up index cards.
The other significant thing I developed were "working" folders: coupons (which I still amn't convinced I'll delve into), budget, and correspondence.

So our budget is a HUGE part of our existence. Essentially, when the mail comes, we sift through it immediately (we've never been the type to let it pile up or keep junk mail lying around), and I add the paper copy of the bills to that folder. Then when we sit down to write out the budget on the 15th, it's all in one handy place for reference. If there are things we are expecting to pay and they need to be taken note of in the budget for the coming month, I will make a note and slip it in this folder too. I also keep the running budget (which is just a legal pad with each month's tally) in the folder. I check our online banking at least once a week and when payments have cleared, I note that on the budget sheet.

The other folder is for Correspondence. Now, this may seem obscure, but it has been one of the BEST changes I've made as a result of "laying out" my life. When we get a Save-the-Date or a birth announcement or a wedding invitation, I stick it in this file and use it as an opportunity to "know" when to buy a gift. (I am TERRIBLE at remembering these kinds of things, so this is hopefully a huge step in improving the act of being thoughtful.) Another thing I will do is make a list of people who are on the prayer list a church, then sit down and actually remember to write them a note during my allotted "Correspondence" time. If I know someone could use a little something, like a new mom in our playgroup who needs food, I will take time to plan a meal and a time to deliver it during this time. It's all fine and good to intend to be thoughtful, and there are times when random Facebook correspondence is uplifting, but how much more special is it to sit down and do some real letter writing. It's certainly something that is a bit lost in our fast-paced lifestyle.



The weekly calendar pretty much speaks for itself, but the fact that I've allotted time for chores might seem a bit quirky. I can generally do chores with both boys awake, so it falls after their afternoon nap. But I have never ever been good about keeping up with them (Ask my mom!). I do the dishes and I do the laundry, but my poor desk gets dusted like three times a year. I know, it's gross. The way I see it, if I plan to do it and let it go, there's no real excuse like, "Oh, it just slipped my mind." No, it was there on the calendar and I chose not to do it and to do something (probably unproductive) else instead.

Being a stay-at-home mom is about adjusting. The days are NOT laid out like they are when you're in the workplace. Since I don't work at an 8-5 pace, I have had to figure out my pace and adjust my responsibilities likewise.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Amanda!

    I think you and I have only briefly met once, but I stumbled across your blog through mutual friends on Facebook. I just want to tell you that I SO appreciate this post. Just this morning I was making out a list of chores that need to be done on a weekly, bi-weekly, and monthly basis, but didn't quite know where to go from there. I hadn't even TRIED to tackle daily chores.

    Anyway, thanks for posting. I'm sure this took a bit of precious time, but it certainly has given me some good ideas and inspired me to take my list to the next step :).

    Thanks!
    Ruthie Diekmeier (Milwaukee)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Ruthie!
    We are mutual friends :) Thanks for your kind words. I am glad it's insired you!

    This calendar could totally work as a monthly calendar also. There are things I do most every Monday, Wednesday and Thursday (MOPS or Toddler Time at the library...and soon preschool coop), but they don't happen every week necessarily.

    I use the weekly corkboard in conjuction with a Day Planner. I LOVE the At-A-Glance monthly planner.

    To note, too, our MOPS group invited Simply Organized of NWA to a meeting. This sprouted from their input.

    ReplyDelete