http://thepioneerwoman.com/tasty-kitchen/recipes/drinks/amazing-spiced-chai-concentrate/
So I think it's pretty pertinent to mention that the spices ye Pioneer Woman, i.e. Ree Drummond, mentions in this recipe ARE NOT EASY TO FIND. FYI. And they're expensive. Mind you, it might all be worth it. I hear cardamom is fabulous in cookies and coffee. Two faves, high five.
Roll call:
- 4-½ cups Water -- duh!
- 1 stick Cinnamon -- who knew cinnoman sticks would cost $7 for a wee bottle. Maybe they'll last a long time?
- 1 piece Fresh Ginger Chopped -- the last time I bought ginger fresh it literally shrivelled up in the bottom of my fridge. My mom found some refrigerated brand awhile back. I use it often. Good news: you can get the fresh stuff anywhere!
- 7 whole Cardamom Pods -- $10 for a few ounces. I thought it a miracle when I happened upon them at Harps! Thank you, local grocer. You rarely disappoint!
- 2 whole Star Anise Pods -- ONF, the glorious. And my cupboard now wafts your aroma. Pretty sure these were like $25/lb. But so pretty!
- 10 whole Cloves -- got 'em in my cupboard, ya!
- ¼ teaspoons Freshly Ground Black Pepper -- see above!
- ½ teaspoons Freshly-ground Nutmeg -- Now, Ree, is it really realistic that if I am not going to buy fresh ginger (though I know others do, and probably often...), that I will have fresh NUTMEG just hanging around? I hope the dry stuff works. Though I pretty sure the conversion dry-wet is drastic. I'll need to look that up, note to self.
- 1 teaspoon Orange Zest -- how fitting that it's still citrus season?
- 10 teaspoons Green Or Black Tea Or 10 Tea Bags -- a spot o' tea. Remember that FB poke? 'Twas my favorite back in the day.
- ⅔ cups Brown Sugar -- la-ti-da, in the cupboard.
- 1 Tablespoon Honey -- I wish the price of honey would stop going up. Right?
- 1 Tablespoon Vanilla -- I crack myself up sometimes with the things I'll purchase the "real" thing of. I won't buy ginger, but I will buy the real vanilla extract, no imitation.
Enough whining! I will post more about that menu and its success (or failure, my hubby has a sweet tooth, so this chai recipe might get the boot if it's not as sweet as the commercial stuff (which PW liketh not). We shall see!)
Fresh ginger is actually pretty easy. Scrape off the skin with a spoon or peel with a knife. Shred on a cheese grater. Store the leftovers in a ziplock bag in the fridge. Mine stored successfully for probably a month or more, minus a small bad spot here or there that I cut off. Pretty easy.
ReplyDeleteA friend of mine also made this, and she said that getting all the spices wasn't that expensive. However, she is close to a middle eastern market or store or something, so they have all the spices easily available and for lower prices.
ReplyDeleteAlso, if you check in the Latino section of the grocery stores, a lot of times you can find the spices in more 'bulk' sized bags for cheaper. :)