Okay!
Whew!
What just happened?
A few weeks ago, I got a knock at the door.
A: Hi, come on in! [I thought it was a contractor here to bid the demo of our sunroom.]
JT: Um. I am with the movie Greater. It's the Brandon Burlsworth story. Ever heard of him?
A: Huh. No.
JT: He's a Razorback who walked on in 1994, got drafted by the Colts, then died tragically.
A: Uh huh.
JT: I love your windows. I think your house would be great as the set for his childhood home.
A: What? ...I like my windows, too. It's actually why I bought my house.
JT: Do you mind if I take some pictures, share them with the Director. If they like them, we'll draw up a contract and your house will get to be in the movie.
A: [Reeling. It's not like I have illegal paraphenalia lying around... Nor is it like I don't post photos of my house on FB and other media all the time.] Uh. Sure.
JT: Great. [5 minutes later] I think this is the house. I'll be in touch.
That evening we got a call from JT and the Director and much of the Art crew did indeed want to come check the house out. They drew up a contract and we let them take over for two whole weeks. Part of the contract was that we live in a hotel while they prep, shoot, and redress. It all happened really fast. But they offered us compensation and were very accommodating in terms of answering questions and keeping the lines of communication open. We were allowed full access to our home throughout the process.
They didn't just love my windows. They loved the fact that my kitchen is dated, especially the flecked yellow formica. Since the movie is set in the 1980s & 90s, it was a perfect fit.
I had to keep a really open mind and not get all anal about where things were or how out of place I thought things felt. Every time I came to the set after it had been set up, it was like stepping into a time warp. But we don't really spend a whole lot of time in the house; we have our routine -- gym, park/library/errands, lunch, stories, naps, snacks, dinner prep -- so we kept to that and our days just seemed to fly by.
The best part was that they painted the front half of the house for us. I debated about blue versus linen. I settled on "linen thread" because it is bright and refreshing, and because it coordinates with a fabric I am jonesin for a curtain redo project.
Not only did they put thing back where they belong, but they tidied up better than when they arrived. I even came home to fresh flowers in each room. It has been an absolute blessing, and I hope the very best for these very sweet, amicable professionals.
Hi Amanda! I haven't commented for AGES but enjoy reading your blog. This post made me smile :) What an awesome experience for you all! Have a blessed Sabbath (when it reaches your part of the world). x
ReplyDeleteThank you, Debbie! :) We had a ton of fun while they were here.
ReplyDelete