We did it! We completed the Hogeye Marathon Relay. Myself and three friends (from three different states) ran the 26.2 miles. My portion was 8 miles. It's the longest distance I've ever run. It was fantastic. The Hogeye used to be a really rough course. I wasn't sure what to expect, so I decided to have no expectations. The 4 of us completed the course in 5 hours even. We had an average of 11 minute, 45 second splits. Our fastest teammate had an average 9 minute split. Rock on, Shannon! Our average might seem really high, and it is, but I am not sure you can classify any of the four of us as "runners" necessarily. So I am very proud of everyone.
This race has been something I have been looking forward to for months. About 6 months ago I had a conversation with some of my local mommy friends, and they were just very encouraging. It was then that I decided "if they can do it, I can do it." I have never been super athletic, but who cares? I don't have the goal of being the best, but just doing something I have always told myself I couldn't do.
The training has been tricky. Being a mom with no caregivers (grandparents, older siblings) and a husband with a very demanding schedule, it was hard to work in the runs. I prefer to run outside, but most days that's just not an option. So we joined a gym with reputable childcare. I got the flu twice, and I pretty sure I got it at the gym. That was super-discouraging, but if I was going to complete this race, it meant I had to get at it. Sometimes, I'd go in the morning, sometimes in the evenings, but usually I'd trek to the gym and run on the treadmill.
Yesterday was a huge day! I was so nervous, couldn't sleep the night before, and I was practically shaking when I met Shannon at our rally point. But those nerves were counteracted by the runner's high. I caught at mile 3ish and kept it til the end. I will run because that high is like nothing I have ever experienced. It's like you are looking at everything with rose colored glasses -- your body feels great, you hear the birds chirping, feel the wind, smell the trees, feel the sun. And it all makes you smile, a big, fat, inexplicable smile.
The other really beautiful thing about a race as big and long as a marathon is the encouragement you get from the sideliners, the volunteers who are handing out water, gatorade, fruit, etc. The hoop and holler for you the entire way.
Speaking of encouragement... It is incredible to me the people who have encouraged me through this process. Obviously, the chat I had with Angela & Brooke started it all. Then there's my runner friends from church who just do it, almost as a lifestyle, and are so supportive and an inspiration. I would be amiss if I didn't mention my teammates. Lou is new to running, and is thriving in his new shoes. Krista has been a runner, and found a good excuse to travel. She is a like a flying buttress -- she eloquently adds support. And Shannon is just one of those who will do what he can to 1) compete! and 2) be there for his friends. I couldn't have done this without them, and their being there for me, for us, for themselves is such a huge inspriration. I never expected the amount of support that I've gotten, but I am so happy to have it!
I feel like I needed this at this juncture in my life. The goal of it was healthy. The process was the challenge I needed. And the reward was more than I could have asked for -- strengthened friendships, support coming out of the woodwork, a stronger body and mind. Running may not be for everyone; everyone is at different places. But it has been a very tangible achievement, and I have found something to keep me healthy on so many levels. If I can do it, you can do it!
Maintenance is my goal now. In the very near future, I want to run a 1/2 marathon, but I want to work on my split times and do some resistance training. The hills and the wind were intimidating and definitely slowed me down.
So here's to the future!
No comments:
Post a Comment