Thursday, February 14, 2013

O, Canada!

We are heading up to Joplin this weekend for their annual President's Day Weekend. Mark and I fell in love at this weekend ten years ago. It's special to us for that reason, but, too, the Joplin brethren put forth much effort to make it so special for everyone who attends.

The ladies in our local congregation were brainstorming what country we'd host for the International Dinner (held on Saturday evening). Someone threw out Canada. I mean, wouldn't it be fun? Canada is right next door, their cuisine does not differ too much from ours. But there are some very particular things that are quintessentially Canadian. For example, nanaimo bars and maple cookies. Poutine. "Poo who?"

We decided we'd like three stations -- the main, the side, and the desserts. Tiffany decided she'd do the main, Britney would cover the side, and I'd make the desserts. Tiff settled on some kind of brisket sandwich -- Montreal smoked beef on rye with mustard and a pickle. Brit is going to make poutine -- french fries, doused in brown gravy, topped with cheese curds. We haven't found the cheese curds (aka squeaky cheese), so we'll shop a little bit...otherwise, we'll just have to do without. I am making nanaimo bars and maple candies. It's been super fun making them, so I'd like to share!

Nanaimo Bars
I feel it necessary to explain some history of these yummy cookie bars. In the early 1950s, Mabel Jenkins submitted the recipe to a local cookbook. The cookbook was for a local (to the town of Nanaimo, British Columbia) fundraiser. By the late 50s, they had swept across the country and a recipe for them popped up in a local cookbook in New Brunswick. Tim Horton's, a famous coffee and treat chain (similar yet oh-so-not to Starbucks), adopted a recipe and serves them currently as "Nanaimo Bars." There is a reason they have become iconic in Canadian culture!

To make them right, you need a double boiler or a stainless steel bowl you can set over a pot of water. Also, note that you need a POUND of butter. Anything with this much butter is bound to be amazingly delicious.

In the double boiler:
  • 1/2 cup butter, softened
 
 

 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment