Friday, January 4, 2013

addie hedge: installment one

We went to the annual Kansas City Family Weekend. I got to have a talk with Dr. Doug Winnail. Really, it was me telling a story and getting all giddy. The person I was talking about is one of the coolest ladies I have ever met in my entire life, Addie Hedge. He suggested I write a "Woman to Woman" article on it, so I thought I'd get some thoughts, an outline-esque, started. It always best to get the thoughts written, right?

HEADING: pending (Preliminary ideas: the most awesome woman ever! or how you can be awesome too!, or this is how grandma wishes she did it!)

SUBHEADING: pending (Preliminary ideas: Mrs. Hedge: conquerer, might as well already have her white robe, or something else overtly indicative of this woman's character.)

BODY -- Installment One: Her front porch is small, parts of it look like they're deteriorating. Like the weather meter hanging on the outside wall across from the porch swing. It doesn't work anymore. At some point I am sure she used it daily. Afterall, not many years back she and her husband ran a wheat farm. She kept a garden big enough to feed her and her growing family, kept chickens (laying hens and meat birds), a few milk cows and beef cattle. [I am sure there is more!]

One of the things that struck me the most upon my first visit to the Hedge's was her screen door. She made it. Who does that kind of thing? Women with talent, confidence, creative flare, ingenuity. Most things around their house and farm are that way -- graced with touches that are quintessentially Addie Hedge.

Most everything in and around their house has a purpose, form and function. That's how turn-of-the-twentieth-century family homes and farms were designed. And much of it she and her husband built together. The shop is as big as a four car garage. There is a chicken coop. And a huge loft barn. The most intruiguing things were the geothermal water heater, the one bathroom (with a washer, no dryer), the clothes hanging on the line.

They run their household like I wish I knew how. Geothermal water heater? That sounds expensive. I asked her husband how he designed it, and he said he just ran a line out to a spot where the sun shines most of the day, installed a tank. Then he grumbled and himmed and hawed when I probed for details. I mean,yeah right! There is no way it was that easy. I know engineers with DEGREES and they can't just "run a pipe and a tank," and have hot water. That's genius!

I want to know more about the Hedge's. I want to know their love story. I want to know how they made it far beyond their Golden Anniversary. I want to know how she raised her kids. I want to know where her kids ended up. I want to know how, through all of life's toughest trials (including cancer that took not only her husband, but her eldest son, too), she still has real, palpable faith in God.

The more I learn, the more I hope to share!

No comments:

Post a Comment