A couple weeks ago, I talked to some running mommy friends, and they are planning on running the Oklahoma City half marathon. A half marathon. When I think of my friends who run them, I always think, "Wow! They are amazing. What an accomplishment." And they're so in shape, they seem so physically healthy.
Have you ever been the person who always thought highly of others, but never really felt their accomplishments were attainable for you? I have. Am. Maybe always will be. But with the love and support of a good family and fantastic friends, I don't see any reason I can't be as accomplished as my friends. So I am working on getting myself up to 3 miles (see Hal Higdon's training program), so I can start training for the Oklahoma City Half.
I haven't registered yet, but if I can get up to my 3 miles, it is on. In late December, Mark is going to play in a yearly basketball tourney in KC with some church friends from around the country. Before the tourney on that Sunday, some friends are willing to run with me. I am going to shoot to be ready for a 10K, but if I am only at a 5K, that's fine, since that's where the 1/2 training starts.
Let me reitterate: if it weren't for Angela & Brooke's input about the OKC, the support of Annette, Britney & Niki, and the inspiration of so many of my other friends, like Rachel, Gwen, Ashleigh & Heather, there really is no way I would set or achieve this kind of thing. But I think friendship is key here, at least for me.
How fun would it be to run the OKC with friends?
You can do it! I think endurance running is at least 60% in your head, and 40% physical strength. If you're determined to do it, you can do it.
ReplyDeleteHal Higdon's training programs are excellent. We used them for years. If you're looking for a less time-intensive program, you can check out the book/website Run Less Run Faster. Your local library probably has it. It focuses on three intense runs, rather than 5-6 less challenging runs (which they call "junk miles.") If you do it the way it's written, it's crazy intense - BUT you only have to run three times a week. So it's better for time management.
We have been contemplating getting a gym membership forever. But we are so hesitant because of our budget. Mark really feels that if this is something I need, that commitment to some awesome goal like this, then a gym membership is the least of his worries.
ReplyDeleteWe, too, are creatures of HABIT. And if there isn't a daily commitment, then there is room for giving up. A six-day training schedule for the 1/2, I think (?!), might be what will work for our family.
Two days a week I have to cross train. And I think I want to swim. I love it, and it seems really challenging, too. But I would give anything to get (back) in the pool. It's been ages!
So I think I'll run outside, and we'll get a gym membership so I can swim. :)