Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Big life changes have been taking place in the Sandor house. Biggest of all: Mommy's gone back to work. Full-time teaching. I took over for two Spanish teachers, one was a coach with four Spanish classes, the other had low-literacy English classes...and two Spanish classes. The principal called me; I was in no way looking for this position! It's amazing to me how sometimes doors open. It's been a whirlwind. I had gotten *really used to* making all my own food, working on a tight budget, and spending the days with my boys -- none of which we are really willing to give up. But when God opens a door (and we are very confident it was God's doing, not our own), what are we supposed to do? Say, "Meh, I'd rather not."

The joy is that the boys are very enriched at their preschool, Oak Grove Montessori in west Springdale. We also have more of a food budget, mostly for convenience sake. The fact that I love to cook hasn't changed, though. I can FEEL my endorphins just get fired up when I am working in the kitchen, I love it! ...it really is like no other feeling. Some people say they love a runner's high...is there such a thing for cooks and chefs? There has to be!

I "plan" every week, but, inevitably, I am really tired one or two or three nights, and the prep that should have gone into the meal gets overlooked. We were supposed to have Mediterranean ragout tonight...new crock pot recipe, but I would have had to prep the stew meat last night...and that just didn't happen. So tonight I found myself staring into the fridge, as if it were going to speak to me.

And it did! Tuesday night I made black bean tacos because I love fried tortillas. And black beans. And sour cream. And cilantro. Nom. Just scrumptious. But we had left over black beans. What to do with those black beans?

If ever I am staring into the abyss that is my fridge, an easy thing is always turkey bacon wraps. But they are so high in sodium, I hate to not balance the bacon with LOTS of other goodies. Here's what I did:

Boil a small pot of water. Add 1 tablespoon of vinegar and 1/4 teaspoon of salt (to hold the white together and season the egg).

While you're waiting on the water, fry your turkey bacon. Heat the black beans back up; mash 'em. Add a 1/2 cup salsa to 1 cup of black beans...if you have more black beans, just add more salsa :)

Poach your eggs (crack the egg over the boiling water, vinegar, and salt. Drop the entire thing (though not the egg) in the boiling water. It's done when the white is stiff.The easiest way to remove it from the water is with a slotted spoon). The thing I LOVE about poaching eggs is that, if you don't over cook them, they are more tender than fried eggs, and the yolk acts as an instant sauce. In this dish, the egg replaced oil & vinegar, and is far more rich!

Layer the following: tortilla --> lathered with los negros refritos y salsa --> turkey bacon (2 slices) --> parmesan cheese --> egg --> spinach. Fold and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment