Monday, December 19, 2011

word wall

There it is! I know, it doesn't look like a word wall. You can buy expensive ones with plastic pockets and huge frames in education stores, but this is the Sandor version. My thought is that each week, when we are working on a new letter, we will write words that start with that letter on a post-it. I bought stars, since those are what Abe presently associates with a job well-done (on his Responsibility Chart).

As you can see the poster has a glare. This is one of the posters Mark hung in his classroom when he taught Geography. They changed the curriculum and a few of them have been sitting in our closet ever since. So the glare is lamination. Since it's laminated, we can remove the post-its as we wish. If you want to do this, pick a nice print out at Hobby Lobby and take it to a print shop (Sir Speedy is my favorite "copy store" in town) and have them laminate it. Mark's school did it for him for free...

All I did was punch a couple holes at the top of the poster (one inch in from the top and four inches from the sides). I bought "binder clips" at Target. They were on the paper aisle, and look like the clips in the middle of a three-ring binder. I put them through the punch holes. I also picked up a $5 curtain rod, which is what's  holding the poster up by the clips. There you have it: a post-it friendly poster.

Right now, I see us putting the new words in a notebook, or on their own note cards, so we can reference them later. Perhaps we will work on writing those words when writing is in his repertoire.

No comments:

Post a Comment