Tuesday, September 13, 2011

butternut squash soup

Thanks to my REAL SIMPLE cookbook, I tried another recipe last night. Butternut squash is not in season, so this is a little preemptive of me. It is, therefore, just a little note that you can store in the back of you mind for later use!

3 leeks, white and light green chopped
1 butternut squash, 3 lbs.
5 cups chicken stock
1 bay leaf
3/4 teaspoon kosher salt (or whatever you've got. I make my own chicken stock (SO EASY! ...more on that...) So if my stock is underseasoned or overseasoned, I just adjust accordingly)
1/4 tsp black pepper



Put it all in a big (8 quart if you've got it) pot, bring to boiling, then reduce heat to simmer and let the squash cook through.

Toss in a drained and rinsed can of garbanzos for protein. Serve it with some bread and butter and you have yourself a light and satisfying meal.

No comments:

Post a Comment