Sunday, November 14, 2010

the windows


Tonight Hubby and I put the finishing touches on our living room windows. I mentioned them as my design quandry a few posts ago. After having the sheers up for a couple weeks, I settled on really needing a solid fabric in the window to 'hide' the inside of our home from the outside world. Truly, we've been in this house well over a year and I have had the hardest time making the windows I love so feel like my own. So this week I made a trip to JoAnn Fabric to try and find material (cheap) that I could use to help finish off the windows. The goal was something whimsical, that was the right color palate. (I've had a hard time coordinating all the woods and the leather, so I thought it might be quite tricky.) Lo, I found JUST what I wanted for $3 a yard. Now, mind you, when designing the valance (which I did after I cut out the picture window pieces), I had to literally cut and paste pieces together because I came so close to not having enough. ...so when I got home, I busted out the tape measure and my sewing machine. I am still getting used to the steps of sewing and doing domestic projects like this. (Give me paper and a little inspiration and I can outline what needs to be done to make some pretty fantastic stationery...in about 10 minutes!) It took the rest of the week and a couple hours tonight and here is the finished project! You can't tell very well in the photos, but there is a matching "banner" hanging smack dab in the middle of each picture window. They're the same material as the valance. YES!

1 comment:

  1. Looks good! Nice job! Also, I love the weekly menu on hre and made one before grocery shopping, thought of you and almost sent you mine, not becuse I live with my parents and cook, lol, but I was very cost friendly, using most items that we had in the pantry to be used, with lots of beans and grains, like beans and rice, barley salad, split peas, I'm on a roll this week! Can't wait to see more posts!

    ReplyDelete