We have a secret love affair with beef. Okay, it's not really a secret. Beef is kind of like anything spicy to Hubs; if it's got beef, he thinks it's tasty. Even if it's rubbery or dry. Silly. Well, this is beef AND it's spicy. Party time.
But tonight, oh tonight! We're having South-of-the-Border Steak and Beans. It's a crock pot recipe, which is always convenient. Here's how it goes:
1 1/2 pounds of beef (since it's best on a long setting, you can literally get any cut of beef you want. Stew meat is cheap. I got a "blade cut." I have to be schooled in beef terms. I'm kind of ignorant, excuse me. The recipe calls for flank steak.)
Set it in the crock pot on a low setting (my pot's button says "10 hours.")
1 can rotel
1/2 medium onion
3 cloves garlic
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 teaspoon chili powder
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
Mix the above ingredients and dump over the beef. Cook all day. (I put mine in at 9:45 am and the beef was perfect at 5ish on the lowest setting of the crock pot.)
2 chopped sweet peppers (I did red and yellow for color)
1 can pinto beans
Once the beef is cooked to your preference, remove it from the crock pot. Toss the peppers and beans into the rotel mix and set the crock pot to a high setting. Simmer together for about another 30 minutes.
Cut up the beef and serve with the bean mixture over hot rice.
(This meal cost us about $7 to make. It will serve 4. ...that doesn't include the beef we've been munching on all evening, tisk tisk. Seriously, it's like chocolate in this house.)
Sounds yummy! Can't wait to have my crock pot again!
ReplyDelete