Thursday, October 28, 2010

design

So many things come into play when I am trying to pull off some sort of interior design project. Color, space, coordinating schemes, blah, blah, blah. The main problem is that I haven't been schooled on how color and placement effects the space. The current crisis (and foreseeable ongoing crisis) is the living room windows. They're beasts. Two adjacent (in the corner of the room), 94 inches wide, floor-to-almost-ceiling (64 inches, I believe) picture windows (this measurement includes the flanked windows that open).

The beasts really make the room. Anyone who sits in that corner (which currently has simple white curtains (that don't really fit but let in a LOT light) hanging in the picture windows) says, "I love this space." But how I do achieve showing them off without covering them up...cheaply?

I think I found sheers that I love. They're almost the same color as my living room furniture. My sofa and chair and ottoman are longhorn orange leather. Okay, not quite longhorn orange, more like a burnt orange. I love them...so much so that I bought shoes and my purse in the same color. My thought with the sheers is that they would play up the beauty of that corner of the room -- letting in light, giving the space a little color -- but still act as a bit of a light filter while simultaneously not allowing outsiders to completely see in.

They have been up over the windows for 24 hours. I think I love them. It's a huge change. Brownish orange saturates a lot more light than white (duh, I know...it's the logic of color I am just not schooled in!), while giving the room a romantic glow. I think I love it. I don't love the rods the curtains are on. Hopefully, we'll be able to update taht next paycheck?! But the feeling the color evokes and the simplicity of sheers is just about perfect.

No comments:

Post a Comment