Friday, October 22, 2010

cloth diapering

Cloth diapering is one of those things that I do that may seem almost querky to the masses. But I do it, and I love it. We've had our ups and downs with it; I've definitely had many moments I wanted to quit. I have taken week or two long breaks. But we do it for the greater good, so I just remind myself of that and we keep on.

Depending on what your definition of the "greater good" is will pretty much determine whether or not you want to cloth diaper. I guess the greater good has two definitions in our house: doing our part to keep the earth and water clean and our budget. When I was in 5th grade, I remember one of the classes doing a demonstration for the entire school about disposible diapers -- that the number of disposible diapers in landfills, if stretched out, could go from here to the moon and back...or some such. Or you could think of it as preserved poop. Ew. There are a ton of other scenarios that keep us on the "earth-friendlier" side of cloth diapering.

The second and perhaps more pertinent is that is so much cheaper than buying disposibles. I've found that if I buy disposible diapers that function as well as our cloth, we'd spend literally $100/month. Psha, I have college debt I'd rather spend my money on! Perhaps that's just me...

So here is the Sandor Skinny on Cloth Diapering. There are a few pieces to the puzzle so far as I can tell. I want to try to give an overview of things one will consider if they were ever to endeavor to cloth diaper. Pieces: Styles, Materials, Brands, and, the most-intriguing, Cleaning.

Styles: a few definitions
 - soakers -- the material that gets soiled. Soakers come in a variety of styles, brands, etc. You'd be sure to stumble upon prefolds, Sandy's, and panels if ever you walked into a cloth diapering store.
 - wraps -- the material that covers and usually holds the soaker on. These are also referred to as "covers." They also come in a variety of styles, sizes and brands.
 - All-in-One's -- or AIOs -- a soaker and a wrap "all in one." So once this kind of diaper is soiled, it gets tossed in the hamper.
 - Snappi's -- I've heard of people, though never seen it first hand, who use a prefold and a Snappi to cloth diaper...no cover/wrap. That's cool, but I don't prefer to feel wet under any circumstance ;)

Materials: the beauty of modern cloth diapering (and Mothering in general) is that there is a mix of completely natural materials and some synthetic. The combination of the two create a very convenient and simple solution to the mess and hassle that gives cloth diapering a bad rap.
 - soakers -- come in a variety of materials: cotton (bleached, unbleached, Chinese), wool, synthetic and cotton, fleece. Really, the options are endless, and what system you choose will be based completely on your personal preference. One thing to keep in mind is that the more natural/organic the material of the soaker, the more it will absorb.
- wraps -- generally, these are a synthetic material. My favorite wrap, for example is a Blueberry because it has a plastic lining on the inside that keeps the wet from wicking (or leaking) through the diaper. However, wool has an amazing reputation as a wrap because it's extremely absorbent and, if lanolized properly, is antimicrobial (who knew?!).
 - AIOs -- are usually a synthetic (I can't think of one that is made from organic material...correct me if I'm mistaken!). I was corrected -- Bum Genius has a organic cotton lining, but I think the shell is synthetic... (TY, Alison!) We don't use them, but the ones I have seen (and the ones my friends rave about) are a fleece lining with a some type of synthetic shell.

Brands: Perhaps the key to choosing a brand is reputation. For example, I am completely content to use Swaddlebee's and Blueberries because they were recommended to me and because I've gotten wonderful customer service everytime I've needed it. Also, Ariana's Clothesline is a brand I love because it's local and we've had nothing but a good experience with those wraps.

Here  are some brands to help aid in further research:
 - soakers -- Who makes the most of the prefolds I use? I have no idea. But I prefer the organic cotton that I purchased at Terra Tots. The better ones I've purchased are made by Sckoon.
 - wraps -- Blueberries, Motherease
 - AIOs -- I have never heard anyone rave about their AIOs more than those who use FuzziBunz. I know I have friends who use other options and love them! (Feel free to divulge what you use, and I'll edit this here entry!)

From my friend Tracy in regard to AIOs (PS she's amazing!!!) --

<<Yo! This is clearly my favorite subject;)


One of my goals was to try quite a few cloth diapers. So far I have tried: bumGenius 3.0 One size (OS) hook and loop, bumGenius 4.0 OS snaps, bumGenius 3.0 AIO stay dry diaper, Rumparooz G2, Rumparooz Li'l Joey, Grovia AI2, Fuzzi Buns OS, prefolds, Bumis Super Wisper wraps, Thirsties wraps, gDiapers with disposable inserts, and a few Etsy handmade cloth diapers.
Joey Bunz Hemp inserts and microfiber inserts.


K, so here's the lowdown on MY experience:


-LOVE BG OS. They are "Stay Dry", which is a MUST in my book. They hold the poop in great, they are fully adjustable. The OS are my "go to" diaper for night time, paired with their microfiber insert and a Joey Bunz Hemp insert, it lasts ALLLLL night long 8pm-8am, and his skin is STILL dry in the morning usually. No leaks!
-LOVE BG 4.0 OS with snaps they last longer than the hook and loop, but hook and loop is easier for out and about. Over time the hook and loop gets nasty looking and needs to be replaced, but they sell replacement hook and loop.
- LOVE BG AIO's for our "out and about" diaper. They are the ones I pack for church or when we will be gone for a while. They are VERY absorbent, usually go about 4 hours between changes, plus they are super easy to change, nothing to stuff, nothing to fold, they just whip right on with the Velcro! They do take FOREVER to dry though, but that's fine by me. They also have a pocket IF you want to stuff more in there, but I've never needed to. They come in sizes, so you have to buy SM and L. I've had very few accidents with these and they don't leak out the top when they sleep on their tummy.


-Rumparooz G2's are great too, but were very bulky on him when he was tiny, but they do fit a 7 pound baby! They are OS. They have great inside gussets to keep the poo in, only had MAYBE 2 accidents total with poo. They did leak when he was smaller when he was on his tummy, but I think that was because I didnt' have the right fit for him yet and I wasn't washing them with the right detergent. They work great now. They also come in cute prints. They are "stay dry" as well, but I feel the BG's keep him dryer.
- Don't waist your money on Li'l Joey's, they don't absorb well. but they are cute ;)
- Don't like Grovia AI2's, can't add absorbency very well, the insert isn't as soft as others. Have to change shell anyway when they poo.
- Dont' like Fuzzi Bunz Os, they leak for us. Their "pocket" isn't as wide, making it harder to stuff than other pockets, and you can't add much more for the absorbency.
- Don't like prefolds, just my opinion because they feel really wet. But they the most economical and easier to wash.
- Loved the Thirsties wrap with fitteds. The little gussets keep in the poo.
- Liked the Bummis Super Whisper Wrap too.
- Hated gDiapers with disposable inserts. I wanted to like them to use them when we go on vacation, but poo got on the inside liner every time.
- LOVE my Joey Bunz Hemp inserts for night time. They hold a TON when paired with a microfiber insert, making a TRIM night time dipe. You must prep them quite a few times before washing them with your regular dipes, or you will have repelling issues.


So basically in our experience, BG's are right for us. They can cause an ammonia smell if not properly washed, but once you get that down they are the best bang for our buck!


Hope this helps your friend! Is it Ashley? Let me know if I can answerer any more questions since I've tried almost all the popular name brand ones.


-Tracy, the CD addict ;) >>

Cleaning: the "gross" part (that really isn't that gross!)
1) You'll need a hamper. You can line that hamper if you want. I don't because I've found it to be as much of a hassle as not having one. In the past, people used a "wet pail." I don't know what this is or what the mechanics of it are. But a hamper and a diaper sprayer take it's place. "Dry pail" is the way to go. At least currently ;)
2) You'll want a diaper sprayer. No, I did not say "need." We didn't have one until we started struggling with toddler poo. But I wish I'd had one the whole time. They're about $40, easy to install and AWESOME.
3) You'll want to be choosy with your detergent. Charlie's Soap tough enough yet gentle enough to do the job. Most commercial detergents have waxes that cover up stains and leave a residue on the cloth. You really don't want that residue, since most baby hineys will become sensitive to it. I used a Fels Naptha (homemade and gentle) detergent for all my clothes, including the diapers. But it's just not tough enough for toddler poo. We learned that the hard way.
4) Vinegar is a great disinfectant. A 1/4 cup in a second rinse of each wash will keep your diaps pretty clean. (Maybe not unstained, but clean nonetheless.)
5) Hot water is GOOD! While I praise using cold water to conserve energy, when it comes to e-coli, the more I can do to keep it off baby's skin, the better. Hot water can help do just that!
6) If you are thinking of getting rid of your top-loading washer in exchange for an HE, think about keeping it, if only to clean your diaps. Water cleanses! Top loading washers (while not as *energy efficient*) use more water. They're better for cleaning your diapers.
7) The best way to dry your diaps is on the line. The sunshine is a natural bleach and will help kill even more bacteria. I generally use the dryer because it's easy. Can't lie, I don't live up to the ideal! But that doesn't change the facts.
I mentioned that we've had our fair share of trials in regard to cloth diapering. Most of it revolves around rash. I beat my chest pretty openly about how wonderful and superior cloth was to disposible...until Abe got a rash that WOULD NOT go away. Do you know what boils are? Gross, that's what they are. We attempted to potty train early because it was so bad. (That was not fun either!) I was using homemade soap at the time. I love my homemade soap, but it really is gentle. So for things like dish towels and diapers, it just doesn't cut it. (It's perfect for clothes, though! Perhaps I'll publish the recipe in a later post :)) I am finding that Abe's toddler pee and poo is really too rough for his own skin. He's got my complexion, so he's really very sensitive. We are successfully potty training now, but we went on a cloth diapering hiatus for a few months -- on again, off again, not ashamed to use Huggies and Luvs and Walgreens brand diaps. A momma will do anything to keep the pain away, and it was so painful for my sweet man :( , even if it means contributing to ever-growing landfills for a few weeks. Part of the remedy, and why we can use cloth, however infrequently now with his potty training, is bleach. Real bleach. Again, it's a modern innovation that occassionally compliments and makes better an old solution. I only use it on a need basis -- when Abe is showing signs of rash. Bleach, because it's so abrasive in nature, can destroy human skin, so it needs to be used with caution and moderation.

Whew! Those are my thoughts on cloth diapering. So far! Please do share your experiences and any additional comments!

1 comment:

  1. Amanda, I'm honored to have my email published in your blog! - Tracy

    ReplyDelete